How much protection is really provided through my group plan or credit card?
Key Points to know about coverage
• Coverage varies greatly • Policy maximums might not be enough to cover treatment • Trip cancellation, trip interruption, baggage, flight accident and accidental death and dismemberment coverage might not be available • Restrictions could include traveller's age and trip length
1. How many days am I permitted to travel?
2. Does my coverage start when I leave my home province or Canada?
3. What is my coverage within Canada?
4. What is the eligibility criteria for my coverage?
5. What are the pre-existing condition requirements? a. How many days of stability do I need before travel?
6. Are there age stipulations on my policy? a. If I turn a milestone age during coverage, will my policy still be valid?
7. Does my plan permit me to top up my coverage if I need more days than what they provide?
8. Am I covered for all emergency/hospital expenses?
9. What is the policy maximum?
10. Are there any sports excluded under this coverage that I am participating in?
11. Am I covered if an air ambulance is required to bring me back to my home province or Canada?
12. Will you pay direct or guarantee payment to a medical facility?
13. Does my plan have a deductible?
14. Will you coordinate with my provincial plan or do I have to submit the balance of my claim?
15. Do you provide a 24 hour, 7 day-a-week toll-free assistance telephone number? a. If so, is this service operated by you or a contracted assistance company?
16. Does my coverage include my immediate family members?
Credit Card questions
1. Do I have trip cancellation and trip interruption coverage? a. If so, do I have to purchase my trip with my credit card to activate this coverage? b. Am I covered for cancellation of my trip entirely - that is: air, hotel, transfers, tax and services - before my departure? c. Is there a stability period required at the time of purchase? i. How does this affect me, my immediate family members or my travelling companion? d. Am I covered for cancellation or interruption of my trip if my travelling companion gets injured or sick? e. Am I covered for cancellation or interruption if a new travel advisory is issued for my destination?
2. Are my benefits cancelled if I miss a credit card payment while I'm away on my holidays?
3. Does my coverage cover my family members?
Group plan questions
1. When does my coverage start - my employment start date or after my probation period?
2. After my termination date, how long can I continue with my group plan? What are my other options?